Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I signed a lease which was due to end on 6/30/16. On

Customer Question

I signed a lease which was due to end on 6/30/16. On 6/17/16, I was arrested and was issued a no contact order which prevented me from entering the apartment to retrieve my belongings. The Court has sense withdrawn any charges and the no contact order is void. I am trying to get my belongings and my ex is not being cooperative. She apparently has renewed the lease which I did not sign. The police advise that if I am still on the lease, which I believe that I am as the landlord is telling me that I have to sign papers to remove my name from the lease, do I have the right to use my key and go in and get my stuff?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, if you are on the lease then you have a right to enter your premises and remove your property or even stay there.

As a practical matter, though, if this a high risk situation and you suspect it could get ugly, I strongly suggest, if you want to just pick up your personal property, you ask a police officer to accompany you to 1) act as a witness and assure that no trumped up charges are brought against you and 2) to protect you from any attack.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.