Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

What are the laws regarding maintenance of right of ways

Customer Question

what are the laws regarding maintenance of right of ways
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The first step is to check the document establishing the right of way. It often will say who is responsible for maintaining it. If the document doesn't say, then the person who holds the right to cross the right of way is the one responsible for maintaining it. See Shapiro v. Burton, 23 Mass. App. Ct. 327, 333, 502 N.E.2d 545, 549 (1987). When a right of way benefits more than one property, everyone who's using it would pay part of it, based on the part of the total square footage they're using.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?