Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am "renting to own" a home was not informed the resin

Customer Question

I am "renting to own" a home was not informed the resin owner carrying contract for 2 years was because of a property dispute, owner moved out of state to daughter in laws home that's when problems started I tried to get loan early but because of property dispute lender can not do loan, its a year till agreed time to purchase and now owner is trying to evict me after I put $12,000 into home repairs, rat infestation, garbage removal, complete new floors ect. I did not ever sign a lease the property management company did not one initial on lease is mine and this is a retaliation due to numerous problems I have brought up to owner. What do I do? She served eviction months ago but continues to collect "rent/payment" from me and I am not signed on a lease anywhere I just want dispute fixed so I can get loan please help me what do I do to keep my home?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The person you entered the contract with you would be liable to you for breach of contract. So you would have to sue them in court for breach of contract and file a motion to stay eviction. You would then seek specific performance (making them continue with the sale) and/or a money damage award for all of your damages suffered by their failure to disclose the issues and the breach, including all payments you made towards purchase plus all money you paid for repairs.
You are going to have to sue them and get a local real estate attorney to file suit to prevent the eviction and resolve this matter, since they are in breach of their contract with you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see a reply posted for you, but nothing is in it.
Please ask your follow up questions again using reply and I apologize for whatever technical issue caused it not to appear previously.