Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law
10707909

I am trying to lease an apartment in Greenville NC. I have a

Customer Question

I am trying to lease an apartment in Greenville NC. I have a prior eviction for non payment of rent. I lost my job and couldn't afford the rent, totally on me, I own it. I left voluntarily before it went to a judge and have since paid off my old landlord, also voluntarily. There is nothing on my credit report (all 3), but it does come up as a court case in public records in a background check. I have had no luck whatsoever in leasing a place. I have been upfront, offering to pay higher security deposits, 6 months up front, cosigner, so far the eviction is the deal breaker, no one is interested. Also tried smaller, private owners, same thing. I have have a stable job almost 2 years, make 6+ times what I'm looking to rent, have decent credit(675) and don't have a dime in debt. I currently stay with my mom paying rent every month as well. Just me, 24 y/o M no pets, BA, in career
Is there anyway of paying a lawyer to close the public record of my eviction? Where do I look to find landlords willing to take tenants with previous evictions? Im sure alot of people fall on hard times and get evicted, how do they find a place? In general, how do I proceed next in best obtaining an apartment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 5 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. Unfortunately, you cannot have an eviction moved from your court record. The best you can hope for, since you have paid the prior Landlord is getting a Letter of Satisfaction from that LL. That simply says that you made the payment. Then you can bring that to the court where the eviction was filed and have it filed in that court record. You also can have copies of that to present to perspective LL's.

Let me see what I can find as a sample and I will post it here.

LETTER OF SATISFACTION OF DEBT

This is to acknowledge that payment in full has been received by YOUR NAME in the Matter of WHATEVER YOUR EVICTION CASE NUMBER ***** filed in NAME OF COURT, etc. The debt therein has been Satisfied in full on Date of Payment.

Get this to your prior LL and ask them to sign it in front of Notary and then you can file in the court where the eviction was ordered. Keep copies so you can present it to perspective LL's with a copy of your cancelled check for the payment, if possible.

If you cannot get in touch with your former LL you can try the following:

My name is ***** ***** DATE, a judgment was granted against me in NAME OF COURT (Case # *****).
On DATE, I paid the prevailing party, Amount which was the full amount of this judgment.

I attach to this statement a copy of the front and back of the canceled check for the full amount of the judgment endorsed NAME OF LL.

NAME OF LL did not voluntarily file a Satisfaction of Judgment. When I tried to contact NAME, I learned that she had moved and had left no forwarding address.

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of
_______________________ that the foregoing is true and correct.

DATED: ______________________

SIGN IN FRONT OF A NOTARY.