Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I was told by my mortgage company that although I have paid

Customer Question

I was told by my mortgage company that although I have paid my property taxes for ten years because I paid less than 1/8 of them late and they paid before I did that the law requires me to have an escrow account for 1 year. I had a need for both eyes to have surgery. I decided to get surgery then instead of paying the last of property taxes first. I have paid my property taxes myself for 30 years. I am not sure they are telling the truth.
I live in Texas.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This isn't something that is a law, as in a statute enacted by the state, that requires this that I can locate. But it could be part of your mortgage agreement with the lender that if they ended up paying the delinquent taxes X number of times, then you agreed to have them set up an escrow account for you where you pay a little more on your payment each month to build up a surplus to pay the property taxes.

.

But if it were me, I would ask them to show you where in your mortgage agreement you agreed to this or where under state law it mandates it.. If they can't show you something in writing that you agreed to or is state law, they are just bluffing you and want you to agree to allow them to set up an escrow account to protect their interests.

.

.

thanks