Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

If I inherit money & there is a lien on my property at the

Customer Question

If I inherit money & there is a lien on my property at the courthouse, does the lien have to be paid?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The lien has to be paid before you could sell or transfer your property. It's not automatically paid when you receive any income or assets. If the person who placed the lien has a judgment against you, they can use it to try to take the money you inherited from your bank account. They could also file a motion for contempt, asking you to come into court to explain why you have not paid. They could seek to foreclose the property to encourage you to pay the lien. If they don't have a judgment, they'd have to get one before they could attach the money you inherited. That means they'd file a lawsuit, and you would receive notice and have an opportunity to be heard before they got the money.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?