CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I'm in a lease, owner list home and finds a buyer who

Customer Question

I'm in a lease, owner list home and finds a buyer who doesn't want a renter. I won't leave until lease is up. Realtor brings an electrician to do some work, they eliminate all lighting on back of house as well a the only power socket (other than washer dryer) in the basement. I have my air printer and things down there.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation, this is an "illegal eviction" (cutting off utilities (or a portion of them), as well as a breach of the lease contract (reducing or eliminating the amenities and services that existed in the property at the time that the unit was advertised or the lease was signed).

Furthermore, it is likely that the way in which the landlord (or his agents - I use the term "agent" in the legal sense, so it includes anyone working on his behalf, not just his real estate agent), has cut off power to this portion of the home, it is likely that they have also violated housing codes (but this is something that is governed by local building codes and is harder for me to provide you with a definitive answer on (this would only be one more thing to add to a civil complaint in small claims court, it is not necessary for the landlord to also violate these building codes, the above 2 breaches (illegal eviction and breach of contract) are sufficient to entitle you to money damages.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you as I felt that they should not have done these things while I was still living out my lease.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.