KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.

I have been using a window air conditioner in my wall

Customer Question

I have been using a window air conditioner in my wall sleeve. The condo board of managers threatened to sue me if I don't replace it with a wall air conditioner. there are several other units that use a window A/C in a wall sleeve. But they only asked me to change it. This is not the first time they do this. I feel I am singled out and fell they are discriminating against me. Should take legal action against them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist you today.

You are correct that the condo board has to treat everyone equally. Before trying to start legal action, I would send them a letter stating that there are others using window air conditioners in their wall sleeves and that you feel that their targeting of you is discriminatory.

You could tell them that you would be willing to comply with their request once the others are also required to do so, but that you will not comply if you are being singled out. I would give them a deadline to respond, and send the letter by certified mail, with return receipt.

Then, if you still are having issues, you could just do nothing and see if they actually use you. I doubt they will for this, but if they do, the you bring forward your complaints at that time, and that way you don't have to file the law suit.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.