Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Quick Claim Deed-in a divorce situation, the wife wanted

Customer Question

Quick Claim Deed-in a divorce situation, the wife wanted nothing to do with the house and just up and left the mortgage payment with the husband. The husband was able to get her name off the mortgage but the wife's name was never taken off the quick claim deed. So, now that the husband wants to sell the house, the X-wife will not sign off on the deed because she claims before they got married she put 55,000.00 down on the home and wants all that money back before she will sign any papers for the quick claim deed. Now, the X-husband has been paying the mortgage the last four years on the home and has resided there also those last 4 years. My question in this case is, what are the laws on this? And there was no mention at all in the divorce papers about a home that they both owned together. They did the divorce all on line in Lincoln County. I hop you can shed some light on this and what the best thing to move forward would be in this case. Thanks!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

What state is this in regards to?