P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

I own a mobile home park in Wyoming- many people who own

Customer Question

I own a mobile home park in Wyoming- many people who own trailers there and pay rent there sell their trailers on "contract for deeds" if I sign a new lease with the "new owners" we have found in Wyoming court it lets the owner (title holder) off the hook for responsibility of any unpaid rent. The court said the new lease negates the former lease. Is there any way of of having both people -- the owner(title holder) and the new contract for deed people Now (living in the trailer) Can we have them both co sign the lease? Right the now the contract for deed people are in the the park with no agreement at all.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You want to sell your trailer to someone on contract and have them be liable for rent on the space?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I am the landlord

So you want to sell the trailer on contract to one person and be landlord to another??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I have many tenants in the park. That own trailers. These tenants that I have - sometimes sell their trailers (contract for deed) to people unknown to me...

thanks

So what is your goal here....what do you want to accomplish? You want to make BOTH the person on the lease (the one selling the trailer) AND the person buying the trailer liable to pay the lease?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to have the "contract for deed" resident responsible for the rules and regulations of the lease, including lease payments as long as he lives there. I do not want to let title holder off the lease. What do you suggest?

Thanks
You can structure your lease agreement with the original party (the one you lease to originally) making it clear that they can not "sublease" the unit without your consent.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we have that in the current lease. It happens anyway - a lot--there are 450 rental lots. When the rent past due reaches a certain amount and we go to court. Neither party is found responsible. I would like to remedy this somehow.

If you have an agreement that prevents the lessee from subleasing the lot and they break the agreement?? You can sue them to recover.

So that would be your remedy...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
should we only accept rent payment from the title holder? One judge said accepting rent money from someone constituted a 30 day lease. So many tennants drop money orders in the drop box. Should we not accept these any more?

That is correct...if this happens in the future you need to refuse to accept the rent and sue the original lessee for breach of contract

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil