Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

If I live in Arizona and own a house and I own property in

Customer Question

If I live in Arizona and own a house and I own property in Colorado the city is putting a lien on, can the take my house in Arizona?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While the state of Colorado can transfer their lien to AZ, they have to go through a long, convoluted process to do it and I have never seen a state go to that effort. Even then in Az the first $150k of the asset value of your home (above what you owe on your mortgage) is exempt from creditors so most people don't ever reach the phase where a creditor can possibly reach their home and particularly another state.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.