Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My hoa is suing me for $40000 they are charging me late fees

Customer Question

My hoa is suing me for $40000 they are charging me late fees and legal fees for late hoa payments when I asked for the proof of how they got their figures they never showed me only their bills. When I pressed them showing my payments and accounts from the pay portal pay lease they were not the same as the internal transaction report when I went to adr they used my evidence to erase the disputed evidence from the pay lease record how can I stop this and can I counter sue
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Good morning and thanks for using Just Answer. If the HOA is suing you for that amount of money, it would certainly warrant the use of an attorney, and preferably an attorney/CPA to defend the case. You can stop the harassment by forcing them to prove before the judge what they are claiming into their records with an accounting expert of their own. If they cannot prove what you owe to the satisfaction of the judge, you will win the case. If there case proves to be totally without merit, you may be able to sue the HOA afterward for suing you without good cause. But generally that type of suit is not brought by a counterclaim. You must first win the basic lawsuit that was brought against you. Good luck in making your defense stick.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.