Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

How can a bank collect on a deficiency judgement on

Customer Question

How long can a bank collect on a deficiency judgement on commercial property in Ohio
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 2325.18, in order to revive a judgment, an action must be filed within ten years from the date on which the judgment became dormant.

A judgment in Ohio becomes dormant when an execution is not taken on it or a certificate of judgment is not filed within five years from the date of the judgment. So, for example, if a judgment is rendered in 2010 and if neither of these things were done, the judgment would have become dormant five years after the judgment was first rendered, or in 2015. The judgment could then be revived for ten years after the judgment became dormant, allowing the judgment to be revived until 2025.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.