Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My apartment lease ended on May 31, 2016. I gave a 30 day

Customer Question

My apartment lease ended on May 31, 2016. I gave a 30 day notice that I would not be renewing the lease. The apartment has been vacated for the full month of June by me. I have been charged the months rent for June because the notice was not within 60 days and the apartment was not rented out for 4/5 weeks in June to a new tenant. Am I obligated to pay for the June charges beyond the lease ending in May?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who-can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does the lease require a 60 day notice if you are not going to renew?

.

Were you living there on June 1?

.

If so, did you pay the rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there was a 60 day notice requirement.No, move out date was May 27th.Payment for the month of May was paid and a balance of $0.00 was left on the account.Thanks,Caleb

Ok, if there was the 60 day requirement, then they could charge you for up to 2 months rent or until they rented the property, whichever happens sooner. So if you didn't give proper notice under the lease, then if it took them 4/5 weeks to re-rent, they can hold you liable for that lost rent.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help. This was the clarity to the questionI was looking for. Yes not exactly good new on my end; however, I do appreciate the insight and honesty.ThanksCaleb

You are very welcome. Glad to help even though the news was kind of lousy....

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much