TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

On my deed it says that only one (1) single family

Customer Question

On my deed it says that only one (1) single family residential home with a garage can be erected on the premises. Does this mean I can't put up a shed or greenhouse? Does this also mean I can't have a home based business?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again.

Q: On my deed it says that only one (1) single family residential home with a garage can be erected on the premises. Does this mean I can't put up a shed or greenhouse?

A: Yes, if the deed specifically limits the erection of any structures except for one single family residence, and one garage, then you are indeed restricted from erecting a shed or greenhouse. However, what you wrote is a little ambiguous. It could be construed as meaning that you can only erect one house and one garage (i.e., not two houses or two garages). If you can quote the deed exactly as it is written, then I will have a better understanding.

Q: Does this also mean I can't have a home based business?

A: No, that shouldn't prevent you from having a home business, though your HOA (if you have one) may prohibit it, and your local zoning may be for residential use only. But it ultimately depends on what kind of business you're talking about. For example, I answer these types of legal questions online from my home. There is no problem. But if I had clients come to my house for consultations and meetings, then that would likely be a problem.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!