Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

Appeal a property that was assessed $96,000.00 last three

Customer Question

appeal a property that was assessed $96,000.00 last three years. this year assessed at $196,000.00.I appealed and lost. I must go to court for this now. They (county) says that they are bringing taxes up to where they should be. what can do ? I am not the only one dissatisfied.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 5 months ago.

Welcome and that you for your question. The issue with these situations is that the owner rarely gets a break. To my dismay I found that once I got involved the Assessors Office had a different attitude. It should not come down to the need to hire an attorney, but in all honesty that seems to make the difference when all other things are equal. It seems very arbitrary who receives satisfaction and who dies not. I represented a County Assessor's Office for years and found the one common factor that worked for owners was having an attorney. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/contest/contestasmt.htm

You stated that many people are dissatisfied. You may have more strength in numbers. Which county are located in so I can provide a link for attorneys that handle the matters on a regular basis with success and provide FREE consultations?

Are you still with me?