Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney

Can a landlord break a lease if she decides to move back to

Customer Question

Can a landlord break a lease if she decides to move back to her property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

The landlord cannot break the lease, even if she decides she would like to move back to the property. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it and breaking the lease would constitute and unlawful eviction unless the tenant willingly agrees to leave. In fact no court would award an eviction judgment to a landlord who tries to evict to move to the property. The landlord could be sued in court and would have no chance of winning. If the property falls under rent control jurisdiction, there could be severe penalties in addition to damages that would be awarded to the tenant by the court.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 3 months ago.

If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help.

Attorney 1