Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I just helped my 84 year old mother purchase a home. I

Customer Question

I just helped my 84 year old mother purchase a home. I co-signed for the mortgage and we are joint tenants with right survivorship. If she were to go into a nursing home what if anything would happen to her home? We both live in NJ.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That should have been joint tenants with right of survivorship. I was wondering if she would need to sell her home or would she need to reimburse Medicaid or Medicare?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the fragmented thoughts. Would she need to reimburse Medicaid or Medicare for nursing home care if she were to sell her home?
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Nothing would happen here in NJ. Medicaid would exempt it as her homestead and require her to sign statement that if able she intends to return home--rarely does that happen.Anyway this home passes by right of survivorship deed outside probate , the estate recovery have no claim if there is no probate.

This should not be a problem, when she deceases you take death certificate to the county deed records and file it with them and the tax assessor to make sure it is changed to your name only here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help here.If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.