How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home that I'm renting too a couple, The woman left,

Customer Question

I have a home that I'm renting too a couple, The woman left, two months ago. Can I make her take her stuff out of the house. The man still lives there. Behind on the rent.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i would be happy to help you with your question. May ask i what state you are located in?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
W va
Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** give me a minute i will have a answer for you.

Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Does your contract with the company specifically say what would happen in the event that they failed to pay rent?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I can't pay this much
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I'm sorry i can,t do this. Signing off
Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

West Virginia landlords may file for eviction immediately, no notice required, and no opportunity to cure. WVA Code §55-3A-1 covers this: A person desiring to remove a tenant from residential rental property may apply for such relief to the magistrate court or the circuit court of the county in which such property is located, by verified petition, setting forth the following:

(1) That he is the owner or agent of the owner and as such has a right to recover possession of the property;

(2) A brief description of the property sufficient to identify it;

(3) That the tenant is wrongfully occupying such property in that the tenant is in arrears in the payment of rent, has breached a warranty or a leasehold covenant, or has deliberately or negligently damaged the property or knowingly permitted another person to do so, and describing such arrearage, breach, or act or omission; and

(4) A prayer for possession of the property.

(b) Previous to the filing of the petition the person shall request from the court the time and place at which the petitioner shall be heard. The court shall fix a time for such hearing, which time shall not be less than five nor more than ten judicial days following such request.

(c) Immediately upon being apprised of the time and place for hearing the petitioner shall cause a notice of the same to be served upon the tenant in accordance with the provisions of Rule 4 of the West Virginia rules of civil procedure or by certified mail, return receipt requested. Such notice shall inform the tenant that any defense to the petition must be submitted in writing to the petitioner within five days of the receipt by the tenant of the notice, and in no case later than the fifth day next preceding the date of hearing. Upon receipt of the return of service or the return receipt as the case may be, evidencing service upon the tenant, the petitioner shall file with the court his petition and such proof of service.

Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Is there an issue? i was looking up the statute for you. I will tell the moderator you are being incorrectly charged. hang on.

Expert:  Taylor replied 7 months ago.

I have notified a moderator of the issue.

Related Real Estate Law Questions