KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I am a landlord in Chicago. I inherited a 3-flat apt. Bldg.

Customer Question

I am a landlord in Chicago. I inherited a 3-flat apt. Bldg. which als has a basement apartment that the City as deemed as illegal. I do not want to de-convert the entire basement apartment.
My question is:
If I live on the 1st Fl.,can I make a door in my apartment with stairs leading to the basement and just make the basement an extension of my unit?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney of 14 years. I am happy to assist.

Yes, I believe that could work, as long as the basement extension is not a bedroom. You can generally use a space for living space, even if it doesn't meet the full requirements of an apartment, as long as it is not a bedroom. You will need to visit your local building code to see any specific requirements, and a visit to your inspectional services department to discuss your options would also be required.

Certainly, even if they tell you that you can't use it as a bedroom, you can always use it for storage, so that option is a definite. I assume that they say it's not legal because the ceiling is too low, or there aren't enough windows, or there aren't enough exits, something like that. You should still be able to combine the spaces.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kim

Hello, I am the attorney who assisted you with your question yesterday.

I see that you didn't have a follow up question. If you are all set please be sure to close the question with positive feedback, which will keep the system from keeping your money, and will make sure I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you,

Kim

Hi there, this is Kim, the attorney who helped you with your legal question.

I see that your question is still open.

Please go ahead and close out the question with positive feedback, so I get credit for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim