Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I live in a small, 16 unit association that is self managed.

Customer Question

I live in a small, 16 unit association that is self managed. All buildings are 2 units, 1 ground floor unit ( mine ) and an upstairs unit. The upstairs unit was in foreclosure and also had renters for a short time. The building had sewer backups on five different occasions and I had to call a plumber. The association president was not interested in hearing the problems.
I finally had to have a camera inspection and they found a cracked sewer pipe with roots growing into the pipe.All of the plumber visits and the camera inspection.resulted in $977.00 out of pocket expense for me. Can I expect the association to reimburse me for my expenses as well as pay for the sewer pipe repair?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, typically, the sewers and pipes are common elements which are maintained by the association.

Check the bylaws and declaration to confirm that the association has maintenance and repair obligations for sewer pipes. Then demand reimbursement and that they repair the damage to the pipes.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If they refuse you would have to sue the association for breaching the covenants and bylaws.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.