Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My husband passed in January 2016. He was my best friend. I

Customer Question

My husband passed in January 2016. He was my best friend. I have move into an independent senior living faciliity and was to sell home quickly just to meet even due to memories and not being able to keep up with maintenance. Was not aware that estranged children had to be included. Once I located them, they agreed to sign off on affadavit and will estate to me. It seems as if too many relatives (including my late husband's sister) is now involved. Neither his son or daughter will get the affadavit notarized and sent back to the title company. I am long overdue on closing and can not continue paying rent and mortgage for a home I no longer live in due to a limited budget. I am merely being forced into foreclosure which i was trying to avoid.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I get deceased husband,s heirs to sign and notarize affidavit and return to title office so I can close on sale of home? I can no longer afford to pay for senior apartment and home I no longer live in.

Have you opened a probate on the estate?

Did he leave a will?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No will. Selling home as is trying to get out of quickly Small estate and was trying to avoid probate as i am told it could drag out forever. In addition, income left will not allow me to do so. Will going thru probate make them hsve to sign?