Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I have lived in my home years. I bought it in 2001. In

Customer Question

I have lived in my home for 15 years. I bought it in 2001. In 20014, I took out a second on the house to do some home improvements and made my normal payments on the first and second until 2008 when the financial crisis hit. I realized I was over extended and sought legal advise from an attorney who recommended I file for Chapter 7, which I did. I lost everything but my home and was able to renegotiate a loan modification with the main mortgage company at that time. My home loan has changed hands 4 times since then, but we are still here and we are current on our mortgage. The second with Chase was discharged in 2009 when my BK was finalized and it shows on my TRW today. Last week I receive d a call from Chase telling me they were filing a lien on our property and they wanted the balance paid in full in 30 days. I have not heard from them in almost 10 year and the loan was taken out back in 2004. I thought it was discharged in 2009. Am I still liable for the loan? I have signed nothing with them and have not heard from them in year? Yo9ur thoughts.
Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Was the call actually from Chase or was it from a collection agency that bought the debt from Chase?

Also, when was the date of the last payment made?