Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

My one year lease ends up by the end of this month(30/Jun).

Customer Question

My one year lease ends up by the end of this month(30/Jun). I agreed five months lease extension with same rate with the apartment property manager two month ago.
I received email from him in the first week of June requesting for me to sign on the renewal. Next day, I emailed him requesting additional one month of extension to him, a total of six months. He said yes and emailed me online lease form. Since I was out of country at that time and did not have proper computer device with me to sign online, I failed to sign the form and postponed it until I return home this week.
After coming back to home, by circumstances, I changed my mind and requested to property manger to deduct the length of time to three months on June 21. He said no and suggested for me to convert my lease month to month payment which pays additional 20% premium plus original rent.
My question is, as long as I noticed extension of the lease prior to expiration date, do changes of the length of time matter?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, unless a specific written agreement for an extension was signed by both tenant and property management / landlord, then a notice related to an extension would not be binding on the landlord and the landlord can in fact insist on a previously agreed upon extension length or require tenant to continue on month to month basis.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.