TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Tenant on second floor who has lived here has developed a be

Customer Question

tenant on second floor who has lived here for years has developed a be bug problem. house was evaluated today his floor is the only floor that has them. as the owner what are my rights
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If the tenant negligently brought the bed bugs into the house, and you can prove it, then you can sue the tenant for the cost to remove the bed bugs from the house, and you would likely win a money judgment against the tenant. The key is proving how the bed bugs got into the house. If you were to sue, you'd likely need an expert witness to describe how a house gets infested with bed bugs, and paint a picture that leads to the tenant.

Before suing, you may wish to talk to the tenant to see if he will take any responsibility. Perhaps you can insinuate that if he does not pay for at least part of the extermination, then you will possibly take legal action.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!