TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I rent a condo from a -time friend. He is also in the

Customer Question

I rent a condo from a long-time friend. He is also in the process of making me a joint-tenancy owner. The HOA Board here is made up of elderly people who don't have a good grasp on their own CC&Rs and have no understanding of what it takes to fund the reserves. My owner and I have talked to the President of the Board many, many times and have a personal relationship with her. She keeps telling us she is going to do something about the low reserve situation, but then doesn't speak up in monthly meetings. She also continues to spend money on unimportant items. Our condo is worth approx 41,000,000 and the reserves should be around $1,000,000. Our reserves are currently at $165,000.
I am still a tenant but told the President how absolutely frustrated we are in a personal text message. She took the personal text to a private board meeting and them sent me a letter which banned me from ever speaking, telephoning, emailing, or texting any Board member again. What can I do about this? Is this even legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It is legal for her to send you the letter. It is also legal for you to speak, telephone, email and text any board member you'd like (assuming it's not to the point of harassment, of course). It's a free country, and the First Amendment protects both of you in this situation.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!