Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
20355756

WHAT IS THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF CARPET IN A RENTAL PROPERTY?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 11 months ago.

Hello there --

-

It really depends upon the carpet itself and the manufacturer's specifications. Many different types and brands have different wear and tear rates and you really do have to contact the manufacturer if you want to get it down to an exact number of years for the carpet brand and type that you are inquiring about. However, legally speaking, a general number of years for this is TEN years (I have been involved in many landlord and tenant cases and that seems to be the number that a judge will accept so long as it is cleaned with a generally accepted carpet cleaning method/service between tenants and it is subjected to normal wear and tear patterns (there has been no abuse of the carpet by any of the tenants living in the unit). If there has been a pet or pets in the apartment or house where the carpet is located, then a court may not even use a "normal wear and tear" analysis and might agree with a landlord that a carpet needs to be replaced after just a few years (but the LL would have to show that there were several pets and that those pets were urinating on the carpet regularly -- there would have to be a bit more evidence than usual use of the rug to convince a court that a carpet would have to be replaced prior to the ten year mark).

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star is a positive rating). THANK YOU VERY MUCH
-

MARY