KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

How to transfer a boat when owner is deceased

Customer Question

how to transfer a boat when owner is deceased
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am a licensed attorney and am happy to assist.

When the owner of the boat passes away, there will likely be a next of kin who will inherit that boat. There will either be a will, or there will be no will and everything goes to the family members intestate.

If you have a family member willing to sell you the boat, you would need to have it purchased through the probate court, if there is a will. If there is no will the family can do an affidavit of kinship and get a certified copy of the death certificate. Then they can use that with the registry of motor vehicles to sell the boat to you.

There's a bit of paperwork but it can be done.

Please let me know if you have any questions before rating my answer. I am available to discuss.

Thanks

Kim

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The daughter of the deceased sold us the boat and now we need to register it but the registration is in the fathers name

Ok, well you need to get the information that I mentioned above from the daughter and file that with the registry in order to register the vehicle in your name.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There boat was not mentioned in the will. The siblings got together and just took what they wanted. They left the boat and trailer for the daughter and she sold us the boat.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you still there

Yes, as I said above, the documents that you need are the affidavit of kinship showing that she is the next of kin, and the death certificate, and you should be able to register the boat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh thank you. I did not completely understand.

Sure, no problem. Hopefully she will cooperate with you and do it quickly so you can get on title asap.

Best of luck. If you don't have any more follow up questions, kindly close the question with positive feedback, so I get credit for my time with you.

Take care,

Kim

Hello, I see that this question is still open.

Please provide positive feedback to close the question and ensure that I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim

Hello, I am the attorney who assisted you with your question.

If you are all set please be sure to close the question with positive feedback, which will keep the system from keeping your money, and will make sure I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you,

Kim

Hi there, this is Kim, the attorney who helped you with your legal question.

I see that your question is still open.

If you are all set, please go ahead and close out the question with positive feedback, so I get credit for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim