LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

This is a new question correct? So if I move to Texas I can

Customer Question

This is a new question correct? So if I move to Texas I can take advantage of the Homestead Exemption Straight away. However I can not move to texas and file a bankruptcy right away and take advantage of the unlimited homestead exemption. I just want to confirm.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: So if I move to Texas I can take advantage of the Homestead Exemption Straight away. However I can not move to texas and file a bankruptcy right away and take advantage of the unlimited homestead exemption.

That is correct, your homestead can occur immediately upon you buying property and moving into that property as your primary residence.

However, if you have not lived in Texas for at least 2 years before filing for bankruptcy, then you will have to choose between the federal exemptions and the state exemptions from the state you moved from (presuming that you lived there for at least 2 years). The Texas exemptions are not available to you until you have resided in the state a minimum of 2 years.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I requested the atty who answered my previous questions.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I saw no such request in your post. And while you may have initially click a link to send the question to someone, if they do not respond within 15 minutes then the site opens the question to everyone. I am quite capable of answering your question though; I have been an attorney for more than 3 decades.

In the future, if you want to absolutely limit the answer to a specific expert here, you need to put their name in the question that you post and the rest of us will leave the question based on your request.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug