CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I have lived in same apartment years. I've always signed a

Customer Question

I have lived in same apartment for 12 years. I've always signed a 12 month lease. Apparently, last year they slipped I an end date of July 26, instead of end of month. I did not notice this change nor was it pointed out to me. Fast forward, and they are expecting me to pay the last 5 days in July at the higher rate. Is this even legal? It seems very shady to me. The apt informed me they started staggering end dates to make it easier for them to manage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

There is no obligation on the landlord (or their management company's) part to review the lease terms with the tenant.

In disputes over contract interpretation, courts deem that parties have read and understood the terms of contracts that they have signed.

While landlord/tenant laws are written to protect tenants, and there are many provisions in place that will override or limit terms and conditions that landlords can place in a lease, there is no provision that would limit the end date on the lease agreement being identified as a specific day of the month.