J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

I sold a property on a "Contract of Sale" in 2012. The buyer

Customer Question

I sold a property on a "Contract of Sale" in 2012. The buyer is now five months delinquent!
He claims to have a "cash buyer" but won't communicate with me any of the details. My name appears on the Marion County Assessor's Property Records.
My question: In order for him to sell this property do I have to also have to sign the Sales Agreement and approve the terms of the sale?
Thanks for your help!!!
Jim Boehner ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

If by "contract of sale" you mean a "land sale contract" in which you did not convey a deed to the property to the buyer (you retained the interest and the deed remains in your name) and contract details the terms of repayment and if satisfied then an only then the deed will be conveyed to the buyer, then a sale can not occur to another buyer without your written permission and approval of said sale.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer at the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).