Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was married in 1998 he ealked out on me in 2002. I have

Customer Question

I was married in 1998 he ealked out on me in 2002. I have not seen or heard from him since. I purchased a home in my name only in 2012 i have the house sold and am trying to close on it. The title agency is saying that because as far as i know i'm still kegalky narried he needs to sign off on yhe deed. But I don't know how to get in touch with him. What can i do legally to br able to sell my house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Have you filed for divorce?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No but i don't know if he ever did either

The best way to handle this is to hire a local lawyer to file for divorce for you and have the judge award the house to you in the divorce. That is the least expensive, easiest way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that the only way around this? We were supposed to cpose on it today

That is the only way and it can't be done quickly. Nothing can be done quickly. You may want to ask the title company if they can "except out" his claim and then go ahead and file for the divorce because there is no question that the judge will grant it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks

Be sure you move forward with the divorce though. You could be liable for his debts, etc. that are being accumulated now and a judge can issue an order that addresses that as well.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

I'm going to be signing off in just a few minutes and will be back online early in the morning. If you have additional questions we can continue then.