AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

We want to sell our house in southern MD. We have a sliding

Customer Question

We want to sell our house in southern MD. We have a sliding door leading to the garage. Is it true that this door has to be replaced with a solid door?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is Heather. I'm an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. It is unlikely that the sliding glass door meets building code requirements. The vast majority of the time, the garage must be separated from the rest of the house in a manner that gives increased fire protection. See for example, http://www.aacounty.org/departments/inspections-and-permits/permit-center/building-codes/residential-code-requirements/ The code states: "Attached garage separation from residence and attic minimum 1/2" gypsum board. Habitable rooms above garage minimum 5/8" Type "X" gypsum board. Non-combustible floor sloped to overhead door with 4" minimum elevation to residence floor. Minimum 20 minute or 1-3/8" solid wood door with self-closer. No openings into sleeping areas."

It is most likely that if the house does not comply with the building code, that a buyer might not be able to get a loan, or that the house won't pass a building inspection, which most buyers will want to have done. Once this happens, the sliding glass door will surely become an issue. I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I have answered your question. If so, could you please give me a positive rating? Thanks!