legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I have lived in the same apartment 30 years in Los Angeles.

Customer Question

I have lived in the same apartment for over 30 years in Los Angeles. It is a two bedroom, two bathroom upstairs/downstairs apartment. Before it was sold, I filled out a detailed estoppel letter, detailing what was included in my rent and had been the entire time I've lived here. It included 2 parking places. I'm entitled to have a roommate, and my ex-husband lived here with me for several years. The manager just knocked on my door to tell me I had to give up one of my parking places. Parking is at a premium on my street. I purposely take up two places assigned to me, and they don't like it. I do it in case my mother needs to move in, or I need to get a roommate, and for when I have friends that spend a few days. What are my rights? It's a rent-controlled building. I'm 65 if that makes any difference.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this; fortunately rent control serves to protect the tenant from most unilateral actions by the landlord. Landlords are required to have a "just cause" reason to remove or sever specified housing services from a tenancy, including parking and storage. Once parking or storage is taken away by the landlord, the tenant is entitled to a corresponding rent reduction. The tenant or landlord may file a petition with the Rent Board to determine the amount of the rent reduction. The reason for this is that the parking space is part of what is being rented, so if one space is being taken away, the tenant needs compensation.

If there is no just cause, then there would be no basis for revoking the space.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Here is the link to file a formal complaint:

Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

checking in on the above;

Thank you for using JA - I hope you are able to work this out with your landlord without having to file a formal complaint; thank you and take care.