CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

If I die can my fiancee sell the house if the house is only

Customer Question

If I die can my fiancee sell the house for profit if the house is only in my name?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

No. If the house is in a trust (it would have to be retitlted to be part of your trust), it could be distributed as part of your trust (I would recommend retaining a lawyer if you would like to do this.

Otherwise, if you had a will, or if you died "intestate" (without a will or a trust), your estate would have to go through the probate court and the executor of your estate would distribute the property to your heirs.

Unless you have a will granting your property to your fiance, they would not receive anything (fiance is not a legally recognized relationship).