J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

We are a condominium association in Florida. We have 430

Customer Question

We are a condominium association in Florida.
We have 430 unit owners as members and most of them reside in their unit.
However, some of them rent out their apartments and we realize that when problems arise in the community and/or rules are breached, it is often caused by a renter.
Although we are aware that it is the unit owner who is responsible for any problem that may arise in connection with his apartment, the relations between this owner and the association suffer and we would like to avoid this.
Question: Would it be considered discriminatory if we had a rule that allowed us to conduct background and/or credit checks only on potential renters but not buyers?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is possible, however the condo’s governing documents would need to be amended to include the boards right to require a tenant application. In other words the board can not just adopt a rule, it must change the covenant documents. It is possible but is not something that can be put into place without proper amendment which likely will require the owner’s votes to approve such an amendment. Once a policy is in place, the board must be careful when screening to do so in a matter that does not subject the associations to liability under discrimination laws. You may want to review the current governing documents carefully to make sure there is not a provision that states that the board has authority to screen tenants.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).