Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I need the advice of a real estate lawyer District of

Customer Question

I need the advice of a real estate lawyer for the District of Columbia also how much is it to ask a question?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

I want to petition the court for personal representative/adverse possession I'm curious about where you heard the term personal "representative/adverse possession." How does that relate to how you came into possession of the house 20 years ago. Your father had no will, Other than you as his son, have who are the other intestate heirs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have lived in the home pretty much all my life. Personal representative was presented to me by DC Superior Court and that is what I am petitioning the court for since as I mentioned (I have been paying all taxes all by myself, and I had the house gutted because it was in deplorable condition. I am a woman and my two brothers have done absolutely nothing. The lawyer was paid to do a will and he never surrendered it all I have is a receipt and the bar suggested I tell the probate court. I am seeking further info about adverse possession so I can secure the property as THEY HAVE NEVER TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY THEY DID NOT EVEN BURY HIM, MY DAUGHTER AND I DID AS SHE WAS HIS ONLY CARE GIVER AND HE LEFT THE HOUSE TO HER. I WANT ALL MY CASH BACK I HAVE INVESTED OR THE POSSESSION OF THE HOUSE. CAN YOU HELPME??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I ALSO HAVE RECEIPTS FROM PROPERTY TAX BILLS, RECEICTS FROM RENOVATIONS DONE ON THE HOUSE OVER THE PERIOD MENTIONED IF I HAD NOT PAID ALL THE TAXES THE HOUSE WOULD BE GONE I EVEN PAID A 13,000 WATER BILL WHEN THE HOUSE WAS VACANT FOR TIME. IF YOU CAN NOT HELP I WILL TRY SOMEPLACE ELSE THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NO DO NOT CALL ME! I STILL NEVER GOT AN ANSWER

Good morning. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I can only provide you with information about adverse possession, but what you need is an actual DC lawyer who can take the necessary legal steps to get the title out of your father's name and into yours. That lawyer should know what to do under DC law.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 months ago.

New Expert here.

Thank you for your question.

Has anyone filed a probate case yet?

How was the house left to your daughter? Was she a joint tenant?