socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My apartment flooded 3 days ago along with 8 other units and

Customer Question

my apartment flooded 3 days ago along with 8 other units and the hoa hasn't fixed the problem and has become unreachable and unresponsive. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Your insurance should cover temporary relocation to a motel, or other substitute housing. Meanwhile, you're probably going to need a lawyer to contact the landlord and the HOA, and threaten immediate legal action unless you get some financial assistance.

You can, of course, simply vacate the premises, declare the lease terminated, and then sue to recover your security deposit and any damages to your property. But, if you're thinking of doing that, then you need to take loads of photos/video before you leave, and have some witnesses look at the damage, and your video/photos, so that they can testify on your behalf that the video/photos are a fair representation of the condition of the property you vacated. Otherwise, you could be short on evidence, once you get into a court.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!