Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
20355756

I accidentally started a fire on my property that burned 5

Customer Question

I accidentally started a fire on my property that burned 5 acres but there was no property or personal injury. My question is how much trouble could I be facing? This happened in Colorado western slope
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Were fire department resources used to put it out?

-

Do you have any kind of criminal record prior to this happening?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
volunteer dept responded an hour and a half after I called. I have never ever had a problem with the law before ever

Hello there -

-

If they genuinely believe that this was an accident they might request that you pay the costs of whatever money it cost the county or town to send out the volunteer fire department (if any -- they may not be paid, but their equipment and fuel costs money). There is nothing you can do except wait to see if any charges are brought against you, but I truly doubt it. However, if the police suddenly start wanting to speak to you and they seem to be trying to get you to admit that it was more than an accident, you need to stop the conversation and tell them that you want a lawyer immediately. Many people do themselves great damage when they continue to talk to the police and the police are very good at tripping people up and getting them to admit to things that are not true or did not really happen. So, while I believe that it is unlikely that you will face anything more than having to reimburse for the time spent to put out the fire, there is always a possibility that the police will try to make it seem like something it was not and you need to be prepared for that.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today? I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. A bonus box will appear and bonuses are not mandatory but always appreciated. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Hello again --

-

Are there any further questions that I can answer for you on these issues? I am happy to answer any follow up questions or concerns that you may have. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star ratings section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you? We do not receive paychecks and are paid only if you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. While it may have been just an oversight on your part to review the answer and leave without pressing a positive rating above, the website keeps your entire payment as profit and pays the expert nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth star or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. Also, please note that even when you press a positive rating, your question will not close and you can return for another 6 months to ask additional follow up questions for no additional charge.

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!