Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Property was listed on vrbo certain price per night with no

Customer Question

Property was listed on vrbo for a certain price per night with no stipulation regarding minimum length of stay during the holidays. When i tried to book the property i was told that there was a 14 day minimum via email from the owner even though the site gave me a formal quote for 10 days which did not include any additional premium for the holidays. Is this a deceptive practice? Could i seek some recourse if she will not rent to me at the stated terms and conditions from the site?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

i would not believe this is a deceptive practice. The renter told you in an email before he/she ever gave you a quote. Unfortunately some of those rental sites don't understand each renter's terms and conditions as well as various conditions that may apply during certain times of the year (holidays, weekends, summer/winnter). I would imagine if you tried to pay for the 10 day quote, the renter and website would quickly have informed you that was not an option. Is there any further facts?? like did you pay for your stay? I do not think you could have any recourse that would force the renter to rent to you per the times of the site.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Have you tried to contact both the renter and the site to right this wrong? Maybe the renter would be willing to negotiate a 10 day contract/term if you spoke with them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i received a quote from vrbo that reflected 10 days but since it was higher than their max payment amount i had to contact the owner to set up payment and then the retrade ensued. but for the size of the transaction i would have been able to transact for 10 days. She claimed she did not yet have time to post her holiday rates.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is the email:Dear Jon,Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Los Angekes house rental during the winter break.The home is located at xxxx. We are about 10 minutes max from Tigertail depending upon traffic on Sunset.I raised three kids in the house and they are now 21, 17, and 15. This is a spectacular house for your children and family to enjoy. The pool is extremely safe for young children and is not more than 4 feet deep at any point. We also keep it heated to bathtub level in winter. No bored kids. Ever.There is also a basketball hoop and barbecue outside as well as a spacious furnished lounge area. We require 14 nights minimum stay over Xmas and New Year's Eve, but perhaps we could compromise at 12 nights.If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out via telephone or email. There are very few houses for rent in the Brentwood area and I guarantee you will be satisfied with both the accommodations and the location.I hope we will be welcoming your family and please know that if you have anything that needs arranging ahead of time we're more than happy to help.Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
subsequent email referencing the extra two nights beyond the 10. The "pretty great rate" she references below is 12 days instead of 10.--------Hi Jon. I'm in a very loud room watching the NBA finals. We usually transact via bank wire after i send u a contract. If u prefer I can accept a wire for the 2 additional nights ... (You are getting a pretty great rate since I have not set up holiday rates yet!). Happy Father's Day and pls let me know if u prefer to book on vrbo or via wire to Chase.Sorry i cant talk right now. Talk tomorrow?Best xxxxx
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also, her vrbo site has about 10,000 words of detail including terms and conditions. Funny how this was left out.
Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Interesting, I am sorry but i still do not think you will have any recourse or action to take against her. Even if you did, it would be a long drawn out process which would end up costing you more money than your stay and likely would not be resolved within the time of your stay. I am sorry if this is not the info you were hoping to hear.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

it sounds like that first email was stock email that VRBO sends out that she created whenever a potential new renter contacts the site.

Expert:  Taylor replied 4 months ago.

if you are satisfied with my answer, i would greatly appreciate a positive rating. Thanks for using JA and remember i am only compensated by JA after your positive ratings! Thanks and let me know if you need anything further.