Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My mom, (85) just received an eviction notice. Lived there

Customer Question

My mom, (85) just received an eviction notice. Lived there for 44 years. Has till end of july to vacate. Has she any protections/rights to have more time to find a place to live?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi Glen. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

She should just stay where she is until she finds a place to move. Then, if she simply doesn't leave come the end of July, the law does not allow the landlord to forcibly evict your mom without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if termination date comes and she does not move out, the landlord cannot simply change the locks or throw your mother's things out. Rather, what the landlord would then have to do is to first deliver a 3-Day Notice to quit...which basically says she has 3 days to leave or face eviction. But, if she still doesn't leave, the landlord would then have to file an unlawful detainer petition with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from about 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. At that hearing, you could then contest the termination based upon it being based on illegal age discrimination. Only if and when a judge has issued the eviction order can the landlord have your mother evicted.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!