Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

When two people own a property in Texas 50% each with no

Customer Question

When two people own a property in Texas 50% each with no debt what must be done for one party to transfer their half to the other party so that one person owns the property entirely?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

To transfer the one party's half to the other party, the only thing that needs to be done is to have a new deed prepared by a local real estate attorney or title/closing company from the one party as the "grantor" over to the second party as the "grantee".

.

Then the deed is signed and dated by the grantor and notarized by a notary. The deed is then recorded in the local land records office and the transfer is complete.

.

People can use "Quitclaim deeds" and complete them themselves, but I am always a little hesitant to suggest this to people because if something isn't done correctly, you have an invalid deed and the transfer either doesn't legally happen or has to be corrected later at greater expense.

.

A typical deed prep should cost around $100 or so and a title or closing company should be cheaper and faster and can also help with getting it recorded properly for a small additional fee.

.

.

thanks