Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I need help with my situation...on Thursday June 2, 2016 my

Customer Question

I need help with my situation...on Thursday June 2, 2016 my mother calls me at work and tells me that my hot water heater started leaking water throughout my apartment and that call was around 1pm. I didn't get off until 4pm don't get home until 5-5:30pm due to the location of my job. When I got home my apartment was flooded with water and a lot of my stuff was damaged. Then around 9pm my son yells "Mom come quick"! The water started coming out faster and stronger, I call the maintenance emergency number the head maintenance Juan called back and I told him what was going on. The stuck and towel inside a hole on the hot water heater well the pressure from the water pushed the towel out and the water continued flowing out causing sever flooding. I was told that he (maint) could not shut the water off because it would cause other residents in the complex not to have water so they left the water on and my boys and I had to evacuate to my mother's who lives across town. So the water had been running for about 2 1/2days a lot of my personal belongings, books, furniture etc...were damaged I already paid over $1000 for June's rent and was not able to stay in my apartment because of the flooding. On top of that I'm a single mother of 3 boys one of them is a special needs child, I had to miss a few days from work, get a storage and a moving truck which was very costly. The apartment mgr has not called or contacted me about anything, I was told that I could move into another unit in the same building but I didn't want to do that because of the history of water leaks throughout the complex. I have pictures and people who know about my situation. Please get back with me on how to move forward...thank you Paula Wells
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to know what are my rights? How can I get compensated for my pain and suffering and money loss?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.