How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29321
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to sell my house, my wife and i divorced, years ago

Customer Question

trying to sell my house, my wife and i divorced , years ago to get extra ssc. since she has passed away, two years ago, her sister get half, the house,, but wont sign off so i can sell it, for only 17,000 ?? what can i
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

You have the ability to bring what is called a "Petition for Partition by Sale." What that means is, you're asking a judge to issue an order that the house be sold the proceeds split 50/50. The sister would never be entitled to more than that unless your wife got more than half the house in the divorce decree. (Note that if you got the whole house in the divorce, the sister is entitled to nothing.) She can be required to sign any papers necessary, to assist with showings, and to otherwise not delay or hold up the sale. She can also be ordered to buy you out if she can afford to do so.

There really isn't a defense for this sort of thing. The government set it up so two people couldn't be required to keep on owning a house together when one person wanted to sell it. So the house will eventually be sold. You just may have to go to court to get it done.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Another option is to send her a letter, via certified mail, explaining that if you have to sue her, you're going to ask a judge to order her to pay your filing fees, and giving her an opportunity to cooperate before that happens. Sometimes that can help.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions