Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I'm currently in a lease apt. However my landlord has told

Customer Question

I'm currently in a lease for my apt. However my landlord has told me that i'm in violation of my lease because my husband has a felony on his record. they told me that I had to move by Sunday. Can they legally do this ?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: all my rent is paid on time every month and all current utillities is up to date. my husband is,nt on the lease. Further more the only time he is here is of a night when he gets home from work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) What state is this in?

2) Does your lease specifically state that people with a felony/criminal record cannot rent or you cannot have them as guests/occupants?

3) Is he a tenant? An authorized occupant? Or living informally and moved in after you had?

4) Whose name is ***** ***** lease - yours, or both yours and his?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.