RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I'm buying a house from owner. The owner recently inherited

Customer Question

I'm buying a house from owner. The owner recently inherited the house, and the title shows owner's name. Yet I recently heard that other family members are considering to sue the owner for inheritance right. My question is, if a lawsuit against the owner is filed after I completed the sale and transferred the house title to myself, would the lawsuit impact my ownership to the house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. Do you know if at the time of transfer, that the owner has legal title? Is there any question if he is the rightful owner and has the ability to sell? Also, who did you hear this from? In addition, what is the basis for them getting sued?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The current owner get the title when her husband passed away, and obtained the title per his will. The original owner surely had legal title and ability to sell. His family member is now considering to challenge the legitimacy of the will, but I don't know how they are doing that. I heard it from a close friend of the family.
Thank you for the additional information. As long as she is the legal owner of the home she has a legal right to sell it and convey interest. If they are going to contest the will they need to do so under the law. If she sells it and you take ownership then her family would need to go after her. At closing she needs to convey clear and marketable title

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.