JustAnswer
JustAnswer, Arbitrator
Experience:  JustAnswer
94416922

My question involves Indiana. My (now ex) boyfriend and I

Customer Question

My question involves Indiana.
My (now ex) boyfriend and I signed a year lease (we lived in this property for a year prior, as well). His sister in law is the property manager. My name is ***** ***** lease but he took away my keys a month ago and she wouldn't give me new ones. All of the utilities are still in my name. He paid the entire sum of rent for last month (as I wasn't living there). Do I still have a right to live in the house and request a key if I pay the coming months rent? Also, can I call a locksmith to let me into my house? I have nowhere else to go right now (after living elsewhere for a month and two weeks).
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JustAnswer replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for posting your question. We’re matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I paid my half of rent on May 1st (as did he). He took away my key on May 12th. I stayed somewhere else, and he paid the entire sum of rent on June 1st. It's now June 14th and I need a place to stay and want to know my legal rights and responsibilities regarding the lease.