Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

If I have a hold option in my lease do I have to sign a new

Customer Question

If I have a hold option in my lease do I have to sign a new lease. This is what is in my lease. Thank you
H O L D O V E R . If Tenant maintains possession of the Premises for any period after the
termination of this Lease ("Holdover Period"), Tenant shall pay to Landlord lease payment(s)
during the Holdover Period at a rate equal to the most recent rate preceding the Holdover Period.
Such holdover shall constitute a month-to-month extension of this Lease. The lease maybe
voided by consent of both parties in favor of new lease involving more square footage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You do not have to sign a new lease, but the landlord may terminate the month to month tenancy and evict you if you refuse to vacate. Otherwise, so long as the landlord continues to accept your rent, without terminating the month to month holdover tenancy, your right to possession will continue.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.