Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I had excavating work on my property to connect sewer pipe

Customer Question

I had excavating work on my property to connect sewer pipe to town system. town gave wrong lateral location to contractor which caused extra work to find lateral. now the contractor is billing me 1350.00 dollars over the original charge of 2400.00 to find the lateral. could the town share respondsibility for the extra cost?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Certainly the town shares some responsibility for the over cost, but municipalities rarely agree to pay for mistakes made by employees. They are not generally held liable in the law for that kind of thing. What I'm wondering is why a local contractor wouldn't have known where the local laterals run, and/or why it would cost more than half the price of the total job just to locate the lateral. I can't judge his claim from this distance and I suspect that you will probably end up having to compromise and settle it with him. But those are several arguments that I would raise before shelling out that much extra dough.

I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.