Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have a rental in S. Carolina and have retained a leasing

Customer Question

I have a rental in S. Carolina and have retained a leasing company to manage the rental. The tenants want to change the locks (and that is okay). The leasing company does not want to retain copies of the keys. The leasing company says they don't want the liability. As the owner, I am concerned that the leasing company won't have copies of the keys. What are my rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I required to allow the tenants to change the locks or at risk if I don't allow the tenant to professionally change the locks because the leasing company refuses to take possession of duplicate keys after the tenant changes the locks.

Only if the contract or lease specifically allows them to change the locks. There is no automatic right of a tenant to change the locks unless it is in the lease or there is an agreement, especially if it will cause problems with the leasing company.

This is specifically covered by the Residential Landlord and Tenant act Sec. 27-40-530(e) which you can see at

The statute states:

"(e) A tenant shall not change locks on the dwelling unit without the permission of the landlord."

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.